HONEY BEE LIPBALM

9:38 PM



I've recently become pretty obsessed with honey. Raw honey has a plethora of beneficial properties for our skin as well as overall health. Honey has powerful antioxidants that help heal skin blemishes. It also wards off allergies, promotes digestive health, acts as an immunity/energy booster, and can be used as a natural cough suppressant. Honey is also a great moisturizer. When used in a lip balm it nourishes your lips will helping them retain moisture. It acts as a barrier, protecting the lips from the elements that strips the skin of it's natural moisture. After scouring the internet for all things honey related, I found myself searching on Craigslist for some local honey and to my surprise I actually found some! After growing tired of spending a small fortune on EOS and Burt's Bee's lip balm I thought I'd give a DIY lip balm a shot. I wanted to make a lip balm that was all natural and beneficial to my lips but above all super simple to make! So I went to my favorite place for information, the internet, to come up with a recipe and here is what I've come up with. 

  Ingredients: 

  • Beeswax 
  • Raw Honey 
  • Shea Butter 
  • Grapefruit Essential Oil (optional) 



    All you need is 3 ingredients and a container to store your lip balm in. I got these empty lip balm containers off of Amazon because I was planning on giving some as gifts. But you can feel free to use an old lip balm container. I also added few drops of grapefruit essential oil for fun. I melted all the ingredients in a mason jar using the double boiler method. I then used a hand mixer to blend the oils together with the wax( the ratio of oil to wax should be 2:1) and voila! Next, you pour your mix in a container and you're done. These came out perfect! They were slightly softer than your average lip balm but that may have been due to the 100+ degree weather and smelled slightly of grapefruit. This is a fun cheap alternative to store bought lip balms and is 100% natural. If you're like me and are constantly misplacing your lip balms this is a cheap way to have one in every place you might need one.

    Update:
    After experimenting with this for a few weeks, I've found that it is amazing for keeping your lips moisturized under your favorite ultra drying lipsticks or lipgloss. I use it under my NYX soft matte lip cream. It helps my lipstick last all day and my lips don't look dry or cracked! 

    You Might Also Like

    0 comments

    Popular Posts

    Like us on Facebook

    Flickr Images